11.08.2005

That Certain Desirable Pleasantness

Part of the beauty in living life as a cynical and jaded creature is found in the small, pleasurable delights that arise unexpectedly. Is it contrary to pose myself as a negative being in order to more deeply enjoy the minute details of life? Is that me taking control of circumstances by pre-meditating my days with emotions and happenstances that will only prove to be of far greater satisfaction than otherwise cynically expected?

Perhaps.

But I will take a more positive approach and share some of the things in life that make turning off the alarm clock a much more enticing decision each morning. Here we are, a few things God has so strategically placed i
n my life to create that certain desirable pleasantness...

1. Weather: 50 degrees / Misting
2. Wheat harvest in June
3. Gruver High school football games
4. Playing basketball w/girlfriends
5. Playing "quadruple solataire" with my family
6. New lipstick fresh out of the box
7. Strawberries cut up with sugar sprinkled on them on top of my mother's Pound Cake
8. Making the spreadsheets that I create match the other software to the penny
9. Playing piano for me
10. Driving...fast with loud music...
11. Falling asleep on the couch watching Law & Order
12. Puppy kisses - LOVE dogs, love love love...
13. Sleeping / Napping with my windows open while it's raining
14. ANYTHING Active...athletic, etc. (football, basketball, etc etc etc)
15. Solving "number" problems
16. Folger's Coffee & Schwan's ice cream after a big meal at my parents' house
17. Dresses that empower you (yes, they do exist)
18. "Track weather" (which is in March, just when the weather starts warming up and there is a breeze in the air - this is when my track season started in high school, and houses lots of great memories for me)
19. A clean kitchen after a really big and messy meal

20. Big family discussions at Sunday lunch after church
21. Free gifts at the Estee Lauder makeup counter
21a. Free gifts at the Estee Lauder makeup counter that come in my colors
22. My mother's homemade hot chocolate
23. Doing pedicures in the bathtub with friends

24. Snuggling on Saturday mornings with Maggie (in Gruver) when we're the last ones left asleep in the house
25. Buying new clothes and changing in the car because you're too excited to wait to wear them
26. Big family dinners at Babboo's house
27. The moment when Jen pulls off the wax from my eyebrows and there is still blue leftover!
28. Using a big word and knowing what it means and how to use it appropriately
29. Crying when I'm happy, blessed, excited - tears of joy are so amazing
30. Having good friends that leave even better comments on my blog


Where once each breath was just a sigh of aching emptiness,
Where once I hardly felt the beating in my chest,
Now each breath feels like a precious kiss of life.
Now inside me beat the wings of a thousand butterflies.
-jv

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a great post! I like to call those moments "Extras". They turn ordinary into extraordinary.

You know those days that are just awful- filled with a thousand reasons why you should crawl back into bed and pull the covers over your head? Maybe you feel lonely or without purpose or completely inconsequential- whatever the case may be. But, then, out of nowhere, you experience an "Extra", and all at once you know that, whatever happens, you're going to be completely and perfectly okay.

Who knew brand new lipstick could be some powerful?

Anyway, thank you for sharing your "Extras" with us! They made me smile. You are a sweet blessing in my life, and certainly, an "Extra"...

11/08/2005 12:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

It's amazing the little things that can make your day just glorious. This is one of the few moments I feel sorry for guys not being girls b/c they miss out on such fun girl stuff. :) Like getting free gifts at the makeup counter or new clothes or pedicures in the bathtub....*sigh*

11/09/2005 5:58 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

"desirable pleasantness"

-fiend

;-).

11/09/2005 7:09 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

I guess we are all "hearing" things twice...

you like, you've seen my post somewhere before... I've heard your subject line before...

:-D.

also. does anyone ever try to make a real word out of the "random" letters that appear for the "word" verification?

because they are seldom a "word"

11/11/2005 11:24 AM  
Blogger Toph said...

Perhaps this was a cheap way to boost comments on your blog...

Nevertheless, I enjoyed your modern ballad of "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things."

11/12/2005 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home