10.24.2005

Gird Up Your Minds

"Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” 1 Peter 1:13-16

Learned something new today about "...gird up the loins of your mind..."

This phrase is an image taken from the way in which the Israelites ate the passover with the loose outer robe girded up around their waist, gathered close to them. Christ said to "gird up" your loins, as to get ready for a journey. They were to gird their long and loose garments that their clothing might not be a hindrance to them, so they might perform their duties, their journey, in a most expeditious manner. In the journey, in the battle, they did not want their garments to be a distraction to the focus, which was the race that had been set before them.

In the above verse, Christ tells up to gird up the loins of our mind. He is not only telling us to eliminate all distractions and hindrances - He is also telling us that we are to always be ready to head into battle. We are to look all around us, at every aspect of our lives, and restrain our extravagances, gather our affections closely to us, disengage ourselves from all in the world that hinders us, and go on resolutely in obedience to Christ. He even tells us earlier in the scriptures to "put on the full armor of Christ", as though somehow blatantly saying, "Amy, we're going to war."

Most of you know my work situation. To explain in the simplest of all terms...in West Texas slang so all can understand...it ain't the most hunky dory place to be [please say aloud with Corsicana accent to realize the full affect]. However, Christ tells us that we will have troubles...and then He does something great. In the same breath, He reminds us that He has already overcome the world. (John 16:33) He tells us that we will be persecuted for His sake, but that the Kingdom of Heaven will be ours! (Matthew 5:10) I so often question why I have to be in such a difficult situation here in the office, but a friend reminded me this weekend that I have been placed not only on the battlefield, but on the front lines. I am no longer fighting against just the ebb and flow of the daily Dow Jones, but also "against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Eph 6:12) Why God...why? Why can't I be like my other girlfriend who works with lots and lots of Christians??

So I ask God everyday to use me as He wishes, and then run scared when He does. Today I am of the new realization...the new inspiration...that God has chosen me "for such a time as this." I am to be...WE are to be the salt and light that brings substance to the world, to bring light to a place of darkness, and to rejoice fervently in the almighty plan that has been strategically placed before us.

Sometimes it's about me...today it's about my willingness to be a soldier. Sure I'm ready to fight...but am I ready to die? Die to myself? Die to my desires to further His kingdom? Whoa.

The story has been introduced, the plot thickens...
How does the story end for you? The finale in my life is yet to be realized...

5 Comments:

Blogger cr said...

Wow, Amy, that's some pretty heavy stuff! I can completely understand the battle field and front lines analogy. And after hearing a talk like Tianne gave yesterday, how sobering is it to think that when we are so consumed with the Dow or our audit reports or whatnot, we can so easily miss a chance to advance the Kingdom a step forward? Nonetheless what a wonderful realization to have, and how exciting to be aware of the war around you. Gets me fired up. Go Rebs! Ha. Sorry.

Anyway, with all this new revelation, how do you think your actions in the workplace will change? I don't mean to ask you to preempt the Holy Spirit, but how do you intend to bring the Spirit into the workplace? How will you gain the confidence to step out in faith when you are asked to act?

10/24/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

when brought to my attention, I realize how very seldom I "gird up" my mind.

thanks for waking me up

10/24/2005 12:34 PM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Death is never "fun" and "exciting", but real. That was a great ending.

10/25/2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you wrote this, Ames.

It's so easy to get lost in work- to blend in with our coworkers. But, Christ called us to be IN this world, not OF this world...

Thanks for reminding me of my purpose here on earth.

10/25/2005 1:06 PM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Did you stop thinking?

11/02/2005 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home