9.19.2005

Toothbrushes

...ya know, sometimes you just gotta learn to let go.

Early this morning, somewhere between wakefulness and dreaming, I gazed into the cabinet in my bathroom and realized it was time to say goodbye. On the top shelf laid two toothbrushes, one of which I removed this morning. It wasn't that difficult to just remove it from the cabinet, but when I looked back on that top shelf, it was just this lonely pink toothbrush laying there all by itself - accompanied only by some toothpaste and deoderant, both of which Pink had trouble relating. It almost made me sad - to see such an innocent toothbrush suffering the pains of being alone was very distressing.

But it was time - it was time to let go of the blue toothbrush. You see, there was a time when it served an incredible purpose. Blue had the mighty task of cleaning someone's teeth - a most precious commodity NOT to be taken lightly. It was responsible for making sure Pink didn't get too lonely. But that time has come for it to be removed from the cabinet - it had a reason to be there but the reason has now ceased in its existence.

Now I am faced with some new choices - do I try to fill Pink's world with friends like Orange, Green, and Purple? or do I learn to like the look of Pink just enjoying the shelf all to herself? (sometimes it is very nice to not have to worry about another toothbrush getting in the way - just more spit and toothpaste I would have to clean off of the shelf) Regardless, Blue has moved on - it has come to a place where it must be content with the fact that its purpose has been served and is seeking fulfillment elsewhere (which is yet to be determined).

It was a difficult thing to do - actually removing toothbrush Blue from the cabinet and leaving Pink all to herself, but I think it will be okay. I will learn to like the look of Pink being up there on that shelf all alone - Orange, Green and Purple aren't necessary just yet. But i
t makes complete sense - if Blue is no longer being used, if its bristles aren't quite up to par and the finger-grip has lost its lackluster, is it really worth holding on to? Sometimes if you brush too forcibly, the bristles get damaged more quickly, and then what? Over time, the bristles aren't going to get stronger, they'll just gradually break down more and more until all that is left is a mediocre toothbrush with bad bristles.

Rather than excusing the bad bristles with no effectiveness left, I ventured down the path of mediocre tooth brushing because I was comfortable with Blue being there on that shelf, regardless of the lack in its duty. Now it is only Pink that's left and she is learning what it's like to have a shelf all to herself.

To all the 'Blues' out there who are finding their purpose eleswhere - many props for your fearlessness and much prayer and encouragement in finding your fulfillment. My love and my prayers go out to your endeavors.
"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day..." 2 Timothy 4:7-8

To all the 'Pinks' who have a shelf to themselves - you are not alone.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified...for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut 31:6


-- Dedicated to my girls who are new in this "got the shelf to myself" thing...love you two --
"Two are better than one...If one falls down, his friend can help him up...though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
Ecc 4:9-10, 12

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ames-

I'm sorry that you had to clean out cabinets this morning. I know it wasn't easy. But, I'm excited to see what's next for pink.

It was time for blue to go.

Ciao, Blue.

Benvenuto, freedom.

9/19/2005 10:49 AM  
Blogger Creth said...

somehow my feminine intuition isn't working, but I still think that this post had very little to do with oral hygiene.

9/19/2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jason Mayes said...

Amy,

That was a great and very entertaining outlook on tooth brushes. I enjoyed it immensely.

9/19/2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger Toph said...

Glad you included the pic of blue, it was definitely time to go.

Is it weird that I have 5 toothbrushes next to my sink?

9/19/2005 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home