10.14.2005

Hands

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

My God, My God...forgive me, for I have forsaken you. I have forgotten where my treasure lies - I have sought its reward in my earthly quest.

Above is the new profile picture - my vision of eternity and what truly matters - it enumerates my passions so explicitly. This picture was taken outside of Mombasa in Kenya, Africa, and exhibits a perfect representation - in it are the hands of women who had been working diligently for the matters of Christ's glory, for the eternal purpose of bringing those who do not know from the cold darkness to warming light. But not just are they women, one is a young girl of 12 years named Anna, another is a young married teacher named Shirley, the third is Debbie, a mother of two who plays an intricate role in her church's missions, and lastly is me, a 26 year old professional longing for the day when I realize that God has handed me life, over which I am to have dominion. Apart, we are hands seeking to serve Him and fulfill His purpose - together, we are a body comprised of many parts, working together for the eternal Kingdom. These are our hands. We are His hands.

Avoiding any chance of someone not completely understanding my passion and my struggles that drive it, I must be wholly transparent in defining my self-sufficient behavior...I often selfishly wondered "so what if I don't produce any fruit in this pursuit? I will still be in heaven with my Savior. I'll still be there with Christ, and they say there's no jealousy or sin in heaven...so it will all be okay, right?" I believe in my heart of hearts that is true. However, a new morsel of greatness has been introduced to my theological treasure box and I must share it with you.

The Bema Seat of Christ (from www.gotquestions.com)
A believer's deeds are judged at the Judgment Seat of Christ (Romans 14:10-12). This judgment does not determine salvation, but rather is when believers must give an account of their lives to Christ. We should not look at the Judgment Seat of Christ as God judging our sins, but rather as God rewarding us for our lives. Yes, we will have to give an account of our lives. Part of this is surely answering for the sins we committed. However, I do not think that is going to be the focus of the Judgment Seat of Christ. At the Judgment Seat of Christ, believers are rewarded based on how faithfully they served Christ (1 Corinthians 9:4-27; 2 Timothy 2:5). The things we will likely be judged on is how well we obeyed the Great Commission (Matt 28:18-20), how victorious we were over sin (Romans 6:1-4), how well we controlled our tongue (James 3:1-9), etc. The Bible speaks of believers receiving crowns for different things based on how faithfully they served Christ (1Corinthians 9:4-27; 2Timothy 2:5). The various crowns are described in 2 Timothy 2:5; 2 Timothy 4:8; James 1:12; 1 Peter 5:4; Revelation 2:10.

So you see, besides the judgement of sin, we will be judged according to our devotion to Christ. It has become immediately clear to me. Our heavenly reward stems from the greatest commandment - to love the Lord with all our hearts and love our neighbor as ourselves. Luke 10:27 All of Christ's commandments have either to do with loving Him or loving others...loving His creation. So back to Matthew 6:19-21 - God tells us to store up eternal treasure, so what is the one thing here on earth that has eternal capacity? People. You and me. Him and her. God tells us there is nothing (NOTHING!) more rewarding than investing in someone who you will know for eternity.

I want a crown. I cannot even begin to fathom the day that I can bow before Christ wearing the crown of glory, of righteousness, or of life! To be looked upon by God and know that I am His good and faithful servant...to be united with THE almighty Victor in His battle over life... We have a higher calling to be the hands of Christ. We are to offer His bleeding hands of sacrifice and love to another who needs healing. We are to find the one with earthly wealth and riches beyond compare and offer the compassion of a carpenter, poor and contrite.

When discussing the value of my insignificant earthly possessions Wednesday night, a friend just simply asked "Is it flammable?" As my countenance revealed my bewilderment, she smiled and said, "Amy, if it burns, it's not going with you."

Today my heart burns, but in a much different way. For my only calling is to invest in the lives of others and seek His eternal purpose...for my hands are His only tool, and together, we are His body, broken for His sacrifices.

These are my hands - they are His gift to you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Creth said...

love unrequited

can you receive this?

then can you do this

10/15/2005 1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a beautiful post, Amy.

Continue to faithfully serve others. There is no better way to discover your own value, then by discovering another's...

Thanks for the words today.

10/15/2005 1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

weird. Creth and I posted comments almost simultaneously.

10/15/2005 2:01 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

was that an adjective?

"weird" Creth??

10/15/2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA.

Ha.

'Weird Creth' would be a good name if you ever decided to make a career as a parody musician...

..And, you were completely unoriginal.

10/16/2005 12:25 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Jason mentioned that you were in Kenya this last summer. I was in Nairobi last summer for 9 days and it was glorious! I met a girl from Mombasa. Oh Africa....

Anyway, like your post-investing and serving others is what Christ has called us to do, but as I am sure you know, it is messy and hard sometimes. But with Christ, he gives us the grace and love to carry it out. The whole earthly vs. heavenly treasures has been something the Lord has been working on me as well. Here in America it is a hard lesson to get in our heads.

10/17/2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger cr said...

Good call, Amy. Knowing that there are rewards for our service helps us to live for the line of eternity rather than the dot of our lives on earth. Of course there is a danger of living for the reward and not for our God, but hasn't every good and perfect thing from the Lord been twisted into a lie from the enemy as well?

Anyway, do you notice any immediate change in your thoughts and behavior because of this realization, or do you think this will be a slow and steady process of revelation in Christ?

10/17/2005 8:02 PM  
Blogger Creth said...

I don't know that I would say I was trying to outwit God, but I'd definitely say that satan has outwitted me

10/19/2005 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home